After you've chosen the ride that you'll be participating in, you should take the following steps -
- Register for the ride online - it's free and it only takes a minute
- Familiarize yourself with the ride start location - map it or key in the address in your GPS.
- The Ride Schedule and/or Ride Start Location page on our website may include specific instructions such as where to park or where the nearest rest rooms are located.
- Before you leave the house, check the website for up-to-the-minute news regarding ride status. Most rides are cancelled in rain or other inclement weather.
- Prepare your bike by insuring that it's in sound mechanical condition
- Install a computer on your bike that shows distance (odometer). These can be as inexpensive as $20.00. You'll need this to read the cue sheets.
- Inflate your tires to the proper setting - every bike and tire combination is different
- Bring your helmet - required on our rides
- Bring a water bottle or hydration pack - 2 bottles are recommend in hot weather
- Bring a spare tube (very important), mini-pump and patch kit
- Bring a mini-tool kit for performing minor adjustments
- Bring snacks such as granola bars, banana or energy gel
- Bring a cue sheet holder or you can use binder clips from the office
- Carry an ID card and cash with you on the ride
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the posted ride start time to get yourself and your bike ready
- Locate the Potomac Pedalers ride leader and introduce yourself
- If you didn't register online, you'll need to fill out a sign-in sheet
- Obtain a cue sheet from the ride leader
- Listen the the ride leader's pre-ride instructions. They will give an overview of the ride and other important information such as route distance options.
- Head out on your ride and have a good time!
For details about what to expect during the ride, please read our Frequently Asked Questions