Women & Bicycles Picnic Ride - Rockville - Saturday, October 3 - 9 AM
Monday, September 21, 2015
Posted by: Mark Alpert
Event is Cancelled Due to Rain
Mattie J.T. Stepanek Park, Rockville, MD
Let me give you five "Reasons to Attend a Women's-Only Ride" with Potomac Pedalers and WABA's* Women & Bicycles:
- Women's rides are warm, friendly, supportive and inclusive of riders off all abilities.
Whether you have a lifetime of cycling experience or just bought your first bike last
year, you'll enjoy the camaraderie Pedalers' ladies-only rides.
- Women's rides help you to expand your network of cycling buddies.
- Pedalers' rides are lead by experienced leaders and are no-drop.
- Pedalers' leaders work hard to plan routes that are fun, scenic and safe.
- Pedalers' women's rides often end with a fun social event that includes a yummy picnic!
Now that you are convinced to hop on your bike and join us, let me tell you where we're going. We will be riding in Rockville and it's Metro accessible! The ride starts at the Mattie Stepanek park. (From the Shady Grove metro, you go through the turnstiles, turn left, and then go up the stairs or the elevator.)
Our tentative schedule is as follows:
9:00 gather the two longer rides at Mattie Stepanek park
9:30 leave on the rides
10:00 gather the shorter ride at Mattie Stepanek park
10:30 leave on the shorter ride
11:30-12 everyone arrives at King farm homestead (right next to the park)
12:00 - lunch
1:00 Short seminars on various biking issues along with more eating :)
3:00 clean up and out by 3:30
The two long rides are:
- 23 mile Trail Ride: We'll use the ICC, Matthew Henson trail, Rock creek trail and then a very tiny bit of the Millennium trail. We will be on some roads and we will have hills.
- 31 Mile Road rideto North Potomac.
The shorter ride will gather at 10:00 am to start at 10:30 so that they're not back too early. The shorter ride is a loop through Rockville on either trials/sidewalks or bike friendly streets.
This ride welcomes women of all abilities and is a NO DROP ride. There will be multiple ride leaders on each route.
The potluck picnic: We'll have hot dogs and veggie burgers and everyone else can bring something to share!
You can bike from the Shady Grove Metro six blocks the ride start.
This ride is limited to 100 people so sign up quickly if you would like to go! Visit the Potomac Pedalers Facebook page to sign up and for riding directions from metro to the ride start.
Contact: Deborah Turton [email@example.com] 301-482-0675