by Bill Bejeck
Regular exercise is one of the best ways to beat stress. I personally
have had many a stressful day virtually erased by a great post-work
ride. But what do you do in the middle of the workday when you are
stressed out or feeling tense? Well, here are some basic tips to help
you stay relaxed at work and feel more energized at the end of the day
until you can get out on your bike.
- Move Around
- If you sit at a desk or work on a computer frequently, don't lock
yourself into position for long periods of time. Get up every 20
minutes or so, and walk around for a minute or two. At a minumum, change
the position in your chair.
- Watch Your Posture
- When seated at your desk or even while you are driving, check to
see if your shoulders are drawn forward. If they are, pull them back and
maintain a more upright posture, which will help reduce muscular
tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Take a few seconds to perform these simple stretches.
- Sit up straight and place your arms straight overhead.
Interlock your fingers with your palms facing the ceiling. Now reach up
with your arms and feel as though you arms are pulling your rib cage up.
- Lean your head towards your right side, and count to 15, then
lean your head to the left and repeat. Then sit up tall and tilt your
head down as if trying to touch your chin to your chest and count to 15.
- Sit up straight in your chair and cross your legs so that your
left ankle rests just above your right knee. With both hands gently pull
your left knee towards your right shoulder. You should feel a nice
stretch in the hip-glute area. Repeat this process for your right side.
- Look Up
- Give your eyes a break by looking up from your paperwork or computer periodically and focus on an object 20 feet away.